Sunday, June 27, 2010

Dress A Day, Day 47: Serenading the Solstice


Monday, June 21

Summer Solstice, at the Monday night Open Movement Jam. The lights are low because natural light is still streaming in when I arrive at 8:30PM. I am earlier than usual, it is quiet and there is a mood of reverie and introspection in the room. Good for me, I can dance my sadness and give my prayers for equilibrium a vessel to move into the world through. I love this dress but it always opens in the back. It looks like a big polka dotted red apron that you tie around. Jim, who runs the jam, said it was his favorite dress yet and that it made him think of my shtetl past - did I have a shtetl past, he asks? I do Jim, indeed I do. I come from many kinds of shtetls, ones my father's family may have lived in in past centuries, and ones that live on inside of me and my family. I am making my way out of the shtetl, you who are watching and reading are observing my journey.