Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dress A Day, Day 24: Come Closer



Saturday, May 29

At the Brooklyn Marriott, late at night, having put my mother and my aunt to bed. I am in one of my favorite dresses: it reminds me of military wear but the cut is so hip and sexy that it camouflages the combat written into it's essence. This night was a night for being hip and sexy and camouflaged: enough said. As close as I may have been, to those who saw me I was far away... and then there were the moments in which I came closer to have a good look.

The dress is one I bought in Belgium, during my residency at the Nadine arts center in 2004. I had been roaming a three square block radius of Brussels for the three weeks of the residency, purchasing little more than groceries and chocolate, so when it was over and I found myself a few blocks further into downtown, I thought it appropriate to buy this dress, which called to me from across the street.