Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dress A Day, Day 26: Kouzin or Collapse



Monday, May 31

Music by Monvelyno Alexis, who is invisible in the background, playing DJ while I lie splayed on the floor in this picnic dress. All of a sudden I get up, put the camera in place and start spinning. That's how it happened. The name of the song is Kouzin, which is also the name of a Voodoo spirit. It must have been Kouzin himself who scraped me off the floor, where I lay collapsed and immobile, and sent me whirling through the room.

The dress is one I picked up at the famed costume sale of 2004. I call it my picnic dress because clearly that's where one is supposed to wear this kind of dress, and where I do indeed wear it when a picnic arises. There had been no picnic on this day, but I was as relaxed on my floor as I would have been on the grass, staring up at my thoughts like passing clouds. And all of a sudden I was the wind.