Sunday, June 27, 2010

Dress A Day, Day 45: Boundary Building


Saturday, June 19

I bought this dress last year, right around this time, for way too cheap in one of those stores on Fulton St. that makes you remember that sweat shops are still alive and well in the world. But I needed a new dress at that time, one for a special occasion, a Fourth of July party. In fact it was my goodbye party, where I bid farewell to my amazingly gorgeous rooftop garden and the life in the apartment I shared for two and a half years with the ex. On this particular June night independence was on my mind and I meditated on that theme as I biked through dark streets to a party in Bushwick. I didn't bring my camera with me, so it wasn't until I got home that I filmed this dance, but perhaps that gave me time to contemplate the lesson at hand. You see, this year I am learning that independence is not just about freedom, it is about knowing my boundaries and how to guard them. To be free without boundaries is to be open territory for invasion.