Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dress A Day, Day 15: Revealing Me



Thursday, May 20

This dress is a little bit of everything, and somehow more me than I ever expected. It is a French dress, given to me by my student Julie Criniere - a beautiful French woman who was born in the Middle East and grew up in South America - upon her move to Israel with her husband and two beautiful boys (have I mentioned how much I love Brooklyn?!).

When I first put it on, I wasn't convinced - something about the cut was so... classic. But the fabric is so delicious, a soft tricot with just enough stretch to give what could otherwise be a rigid pattern some serious swing. And it felt so good on my body that I started to wear it almost immediately.

In fact, this is perhaps the first dance in which it is me wearing the dress and not the dress wearing me. Or maybe what I mean is that dancing in this particular dress I am somehow, finally, revealed: if last night I was barely veiled, tonight I naked for a moment, pleated dress and all.