Monday, May 17, 2010

Dress A Day, Day 10: International Rhythm



Saturday, May 15

Oh, this lovely lovely dress: I've tried to rid myself of it so many times and am so glad for my failure. It's been across the globe with me, in my closet and in my suitcases for at least 14 years now. But it's much older than that. I think my mother gave it to me, after carrying it around herself for years and years. It's a French cut dress made of Japanese silk print fabric on an Israeli woman dancing to Haitian rhythms in Brooklyn.

It was a lovely occasion to wear it to, the Remembering Haiti fundraiser at the Cee Flat in Greenpoint. You don't see them in the frame, but Jasmine Burems and Mandi Gor are inspiring my dance, and of course the band is pumping it with life. That's Monvelyno Alexis on guitar and voice, Chico Boyer on bass, Michael Vitali on drums and Nataliya Zaytseva on keyboard.